The Extra Credit Teacher Home Purchase Program (ECTP) program is for teachers, administrators, school district employees and staff members working for any California K-12 public school, which includes Charter schools and county/continuation schools. Applicants must be first-time homebuyers.
ECTP junior loans range from $7,500 to $15,000 depending on the area in which the home is being purchased, and can only be combined with an eligible CalHFA first mortgage loan. ECTP subordinate loans can only be used for down payment assistance and/or closing costs.
- Be a first-time homebuyer.
- Occupy the property as a primary residence; non-occupant co-borrowers are not allowed.
- CalHFA borrowers must complete homebuyer education counseling and obtain a certificate of completion through an eligible homebuyer counseling organization.
- Meet CalHFA income limits for this program.
- Be currently employed in a California K-12 public school, Charter school, county/continuation school or its school district
- Sales price of the home cannot exceed CalHFA’s sales price limits established for the county in which the property is located
- Be a single-family, one-unit residence, including approved condominium/PUDs
- Guest houses, granny units and in-law quarters may be eligible
Additional Property Guidelines
- Condominiums must meet the guidelines of the first mortgage
- Manufactured housing is not permitted
- There is a five acre maximum on the size of the property
- Leaseholds/Land Trusts and Co-ops are not permitted
- Meet the requirements of the mortgage insurer/guarantor
*In the case of conflicting guidelines, the lender must follow the more restrictive.